Wednesday 17 June 2015

Off to Taiwan - the quilt - not me!


I have been working on a piece with an 'Eco' brief for an exhibition - The Taiwan International Quilt Exhibition in 2016 that is taking place in Tainan,Taiwan. The actual theme is 'Protecting the Earth's Environment'  

The piece below is ready to be shipped out - I did most of the work on it at a retreat in the Lake district in February but had not got around to assembling and quilting it until this week!-  cannot remember whether I put the earlier pieces on the blog.

The piece is called - For how long..........

For how long will we be able to see the beautiful colonies of sea anemones on our coral reefs? We have already lost 27% of the world's coral reefs. If present rates of destruction are allowed to continue, 60% of the world's coral reefs will be destroyed over the next 30 years.



This piece is developed from a design I used for some pieces for Voyage in 2013 which seemed to suit the 'Eco' brief.  The background  was discharged using a range of agents; the coral reef was achieved through a simple hand cut screen and standard Jacquard discharge paste  varying the strength of the paste to try to achieve the effect of varying depths under the sea.    


I built the sea anemones up on the background by layering over a sheet of silk organza. I stitched free hand the first layer and cut back the organza to the stitching line and then repeated the layers twice more to build up a more dimensional shape. I used dye paints to colour some sections of the sea anemones;  the intention was to achieve the see through - jelly like structures of the creatures. Finally I machine quilted around the rock formations of the reef.

Just the sleeve to add the it's ready to go........

No comments:

Post a Comment